MDOT 680 Facility Naming and Dedication
Original Date: October 10, 2015 Revised: December 4, 2017 Effective Date: Januar 15, 2018 Note:There may be formatting differences between the electronic policy and the signed policy. MDOTMaryland Department of Transportation signed policy supersedes all information provided on this page. Printed copies of this page only valid for this date: January 16, 2019
The purpose of this Policy is to:
- Establish a process for naming or dedicating Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOTMaryland Department of Transportation) facility;
- Define the role of the Maryland Transportation Commission(MTC) in naming or dedicating a facility;
- Establish a process by which Maryland citizens may propose a facility dedication;
- Establish criteria on which a dedication is considered; and
- Provide implementation guidance.
This Policy is applicable to all MDOTMaryland Department of Transportation employees and contractors.
Deputy SecretaryThe chief executive officer of the Maryland Department of Transportation. for Policy, Planning, and Enterprise Services
- The MDOTMaryland Department of Transportation shall consider all requests to commemorate individuals or groups by dedicating a transportation facility in their memory or honor.
- MDOTMaryland Department of Transportation generally prefers to dedicate facilities as naming facilities may require changes to maps, road signage, and GPS information. In certain circumstances and at the recommendation of the MTC, the Committee may propose a facility for naming.
- The dedication or naming of a facility shall comply with State and federal laws and be consistent with the Maryland Manual of Uniform Traffic Control devices, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTOAmerican Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials) standards, and MDOTMaryland Department of Transportation standards.
- Maryland Transportation Commission (MTC) means an eight-person commission authorized in statute and appointed by the Governor. The MTC considers and votes to provide favorable or unfavorable decisions on dedication proposals.
- Naming means the official name of the facility to be recognized and referred to as.
- Dedication means a plaque, memorial, or sign placed, on or near a facility.
- Maryland Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MdMUTCDMaryland Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices): means the combined document of the national set of traffic control device standards and guidance promulgated by Federal Highway AdministrationShall mean any one of the Administrations within the Maryland Department of Transportation, as listed in GP 1.02. (FHWAFederal Highway Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation) rulemaking on December 16, 2009 and Maryland Supplement to the MUTCD.
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTOAmerican Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials) means the nonprofit, nonpartisan association representing highway and transportation departments in the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. It represents all five transportation modes: air, highways, public transportation, rail, and water. Its primary goal is to foster the development, operation, and maintenance of an integrated national transportation system.
Authorized/Supporting Documents Hard Copy
- MDOT 680.1 Dedication Process
- MDOT 680.2 Factors of Consideration
- MDOT 680.3 Dedication Request Form
- MDOT 680.4 Implementation