- The following factors should be considered through this design process:
- Daylighting and use of energy saving devices such as energy efficient lighting, timers, and dimmers are encouraged to minimize operating costs.
- Using energy efficient and sustainable materials to minimize operating costs.
- Use low maintenance materials and finishes to minimize maintenance costs.
- Use pre-engineered or other cost effective building enclosures to minimize capital costs.
- Security and access control need to be considered for each location and can vary depending on surroundings and potential threat level.
- Commissioning and system integration should be considered from the early design stage.
- Location and orientation should be considered for energy efficiency. For example: Placing a building in a shaded area or away from the sun to reduce cooling costs.