914 CHAIN LINK FENCE
From MDOT Policy Manual
- The manufacturer shall furnish certification as specified in TC-1.03. A sample of the fence fabric shall be submitted with the fabric certification.
914.01 CHAIN LINK FENCING FABRIC.
- Fabric shall be 2 in. mesh woven from coated No. 6 gauge wire for 6 ft and 8 ft fence and No. 9 gauge wire for 5 ft fence unless otherwise specified. The ends shall have a knuckled selvage at the bottom and a barbed selvage at the top. The fabric shall conform to M 181. Type I fabric shall meet Class D coating. Vinyl coated steel shall meet F 668, Class 2B thermally fused. Vinyl color shall be warm gray or black as specified.
- 914.01.01 Fence Fabric for Super Silt Fence. Galvanized fabric for super silt fence shall meet 914.01, except that it shall be woven from No. 9 gauge wire having a Class C coating. The fabric shall be 42 in. high.
914.02 TIE WIRES, LINE POST CLIPS, TENSION WIRES, AND TENSION WIRE CLIPS.
- M 181. The galvanized coating shall have a minimum weight of 1.2 oz/ft2. When used with aluminum coated steel fabric; these items shall be coated with aluminum at a minimum weight of 0.40 oz/ft2. The tension wire used with polyvinyl chloride (PVC) coated steel fabric shall have the same coating thickness and color requirements as the fence fabric.
914.03 POSTS, BRACES, FITTINGS, AND HARDWARE.
- M 181. When PVC coating is specified, PVC shall be thermally fused and bonded. The PVC thickness shall be 10 to 15 mil except that bolts, nuts, and washers shall be metallic coated steel. Polyester powder coating material for galvanized metal meeting 465.03.02(b) may be used in lieu of PVC.
- Round posts shall meet industry standards for Class 1 or 2.
- The fabric used for gates shall be identical to the fencing fabric. The gate frame and other hardware shall meet 914.02 and 914.03. When the gate frame is PVC coated, movable fittings shall be field coated with a PVC coating specifically prepared for this purpose.
914.05 BARBED WIRE.
- A 121. The barbed wire shall be 12-1/2 gauge with four point round barbs at 5 in. spacing and Class 3 coating.