- 1 911.01 JOINT SEALER AND CRACK FILLER.
- 2 911.02 PREFORMED JOINT FILLERS.
- 3 911.03 PREFORMED JOINT INSERTS.
- 4 911.04 PREFORMED POLYCHLOROPRENE ELASTOMERIC COMPRESSION JOINT SEALS.
- 5 911.05 NEOPRENE STRIP SEALS.
- 6 911.06 SEALER FOR LOOP DETECTOR.
- 7 911.07 ROOFING PAPER.
- 8 911.08 WATER STOPS.
- 9 911.09 ASPHALT SEALER FOR CONCRETE PIPE.
- 10 911.10 CLOSED CELL NEOPRENE SPONGE ELASTOMER.
- 11 911.11 DRAINAGE TROUGHS.
- 12 911.12 SHIMS FOR NOISE BARRIER INSTALLATION.
911.01 JOINT SEALER AND CRACK FILLER.
- D3405 as modified by MSMT 404. The manufacturer shall furnish certification as specified in TC-1.03. Manufacturer’s recommendations regarding heating and pouring temperatures will be used when testing these materials. If a range of temperatures is recommended, the midpoint will be used as the pour point.
- 911.01.01 Silicone Joint Sealer and Crack Filler. Low modulus, one component compounds. If a primer is required, it shall be as recommended by the sealant manufacturer and be placed on the joint faces following the insertion of the backup material.
- Silicone material, when tested at 73 ± 3 F and 45 to 55 relative humidity, shall meet the following:
TEST PROPERTY TEST METHOD SPECIFICATION LIMITS Shore A Hardness, at 7 days D 2240 10-25 Tensile Strength at 150 % Elongation, psi max D 412
45 Elongation, % min D 412
700 Adhesion in Peel, lb/in. min Fed Spec
20 Flow, 0.01 in. max T 187 0.3 Tack-Free Time, minutes D 2377 20-75
- Each container of silicone sealer and crack filler shall have a shelf life of at least six months. Material more than six months old shall be retested.
- 911.01.02 Asphalt Repair Mastic. Asphalt repair mastic shall be composed of quality-selected asphalt and/or resins, select aggregates with structural integrity, synthetic rubber polymers, antioxidants, naturally occurring and man-made reinforcing material, and other modifiers. The aggregate and polymer modified binder shall be pre-measured and packaged in a plastic bag, but shall not be pre-mixed. Asphalt repair mastic shall meet the following.
MATERIAL PHYSICAL PROPERTIES TEST LIMITS Asphalt Repair Mastic Shelf Life — 2 years Pot Life — 12 hours maximum VOC, g/l — 0 Asphalt Binder Cone Penetration, 77°F (25°C) D 5329 60 Maximum Cone Penetration, 122°F (50°C) D 5329 120 Maximum Softening Point (R&B) D 36 195°F (93°C) Minimum Aggregate Aggregate, Factory Blended in Compound D5444 100% Passing 5/8 in.
8% Passing #200 Maximum
Mix Design Tensile Adhesion, psi (kPa) D 5329 Modified1 15 psi (83 kPa) Minimum,
0.5 in. (12 mm) Minimum Elongation
Impact Testing, 5/8 in. dart, 2 in. (50 mm)
Diameter. 1 in. (25 mm) Thick Specimen
D 2794 No Cracking, Chipping or Separation at 6 ft-lb, at 20 F Flexibility D 5239 Modified2 No Cracking or Loss of Aggregate Adhesion
- 1. The specimen for the tensile adhesion is 3 in. long x 2 in. wide x 1.5 in. thick.
- 2. The specimen is 6 x 4 in. at 20 mm thickness. The test is run at 77 F and bent over a 1 in. mandrel to 180 F over 10 seconds.
911.02 PREFORMED JOINT FILLERS.
- M 153. Bituminous fiber type shall meet M 213, with the bitumen content determined per T 164. The weathering test is not required for either type of material.
911.03 PREFORMED JOINT INSERTS.
- M 220.
911.04 PREFORMED POLYCHLOROPRENE ELASTOMERIC COMPRESSION JOINT SEALS.
- The manufacturer shall furnish certification as specified in TC-1.03.
- 911.04.01 Roadway Seals for Concrete Pavement. M 220.
- 911.04.02 BridgeA structure including supports erected over a depression or an obstruction, such as water, highway, or railway, and having a track or passageway for carrying traffic or other moving loads, and having an opening measured along the center of the roadway of more than 20 feet between undercopings of abutments or spring lines of arches, or extreme ends of openings for multiple boxes; it may also include multiple pipes, where the clear distance between openings is less than half of the smaller contiguous opening. For lengths, all dimensions shall be parallel to the center line of the roadway. The dimensions of handrails will not be taken into account in measuring bridge lengths. Any bridge or highway grade separation structure includes the connecting highways, substructure, superstructure, roadway approaches, entrance plazas, interchanges, overpasses, underpasses, and other structures which the Administration may deem necessary together with all property rights, easements, franchises, and interests acquired by the Administration for the construction and operation of the bridge. Seals. M 297. The minimum depth of all seals measured at the contact surface shall be at least 90 percent of the minimum uncompressed width of the seal.
- 911.04.03 Lubricant Adhesive. The lubricant adhesive shall be compatible with the preformed joint seals and concrete. The EngineerAny person designated by the Administrator or the procurement officer, acting directly or through his duly authorized representative, such representative acting within the scope of the particular duties assigned to him or of the authority given him. will determine if consistency is suitable at the time of installation.
- The manufacturer shall furnish certification as specified in TC-1.03 showing that lubricant adhesive meets the following:
TEST and METHOD SPECIFICATION LIMITS Viscosity, D 1084, Method B, CP min 25 000 Film Strength, D 412, psi min 2000 Elongation, D 412, % min 250
- Each container shall be plainly marked with the manufacturer’s name or trademark, lot number, and date of manufacture. Do not use lubricant adhesive after nine months from the date of manufacture.
911.05 NEOPRENE STRIP SEALS.
- The manufacturer shall furnish certification as specified in TC-1.03 showing that the neoprene strip seals meet the following:
PHYSICAL PROPERTIES FOR PREFORMED
ELASTOMERIC STRIP SEALS
PROPERTY REQUIREMENT TEST METHOD Tensile Strength, psi min 2000 D 412 Elongation at Break, %, min 250 D 412 Hardness, Type A Durometer, points 60 ± 5 D 2240
Oven Aging, 70 hr at 212 F
Tensile Strength, % loss, max
Elongation, % loss, max
Hardness, Type A Durometer, points change
0 to + 10
D 2240 (modified)(a)(c)
Oil Swell, ASTMAmerican Society for Testing and Materials oil 3
70 hr at 212 F weight change,% max
45 D 471 Ozone Resistance
20% strain, 300 pphm in air, 70 hr at 104 F
No Cracks D 1149
Low Temperature Stiffening 7 days at 14 F
Hardness, Type A Durometer, points change
0 to + 15 D 2240
D 2240 (modified) (a)(c)
Compression Set, 70 hr at 212 F, % max 40 D 395 Method
- (a) The term “modified” in the table relates to the specimen preparation. The use of the strip seal as the specimen source requires that more applications than specified in either of the modified test procedures be used. The specimen modification shall be agreed upon by the purchaser and producer or supplier prior to testing.
- (b) Test per procedure A of D 518. Ozone concentration is expressed in pphm.
- (c) The hardness test shall be performed with the durometer in a durometer stand as recommended in D 2240.
- 911.05.01 Special Molded Intersection Pieces. Where joint elements intersect, a special strip seal element manufactured by molding in one piece from neoprene material similar to that specified above shall be 10 in. from point of intersection to nearest end along center line of joint in any direction. Ends shall be plane and square to facilitate bonding to adjacent extruded areas, and corners of sharp angles shall be rounded sufficiently to relieve damaging stress concentrations. Angles to which moldings are fabricated shall be within 5 degrees of the actual angle as specified in the Contract DocumentsThe written agreement executed between an Administration and the successful bidder, covering the performance of the work and furnishing of labor, equipment and materials, by which the Contractor is bound to perform the work and furnish the labor, equipment and materials, and by which the Administration is obligated to compensate him therefore at the mutually established and accepted rate or price. The Contract Documents shall include the Invitation for Bids, Notice to Contractors, Instructions to Bidders, Proposal, Contract Forms and Bonds, General Provisions, Specifications, Supplemental Specifications, all Special Provisions, all Technical Provisions, all Plans and Notices to Proceed, also any written Change Orders and Supplemental Agreements that are required to complete the construction of the work in an acceptable manner, including authorized extension thereof to avoid excessive deformation when installed in steel joint components.
- Lubricant adhesive for use in installing and bonding neoprene seal elements to steel joint components shall be one part moisture curing polyurethane and hydrocarbon solvent mixture having the following physical properties:
TEST and METHOD SPECIFICATION LIMITS Average Weight, lb/gal 8 ± 0.8 Solids Content, % min 65 Adhesives shall remain liquid from, F 5 to 120 Film Strength, D 412, psi min 2000 Elongation, D 412, % min 250
- Steel extrusions and neoprene seals shall be matching components by the same manufacturer. The steel extrusions shall have a thickness of at least 3/8 in. All steel portions of the joint assembly shall be painted with an inorganic zinc rich primer meeting 912.03 and applied as specified in Section 435.
911.06 SEALER FOR LOOP DETECTOR.
- Type A two part epoxy or Type B, one part polyurethane. The manufacturer shall furnish certification as specified in TC-1.03. Do not mix aggregate with the sealer material. Apply the sealer in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- 911.06.01 Tests. Meet to the following:
TYPE A – TWO PART EPOXY TEST and METHOD SPECIFICATION LIMITS Viscosity, cone and plate Viscometer @ 25 C, cps max 12 000 Pot life @ 25 C, minutes min 10 Cure time @ 25 C, no tackiness, hr max 1 Hardness, Type A durometer, D 2240 50 – 60 Tensile elongation, D 638, % min 100 Water absorption, D 570, %/24 hr max 0.5 Oil absorption, D 471, % max 0.02 Volume resistivity @ 25 C, D 257, ohm-cm min 2.4 X 1010 TYPE B - ONE PART POLYURETHANE TEST and METHOD SPECIFICATION LIMITS Viscosity, Brookfield RVF #6 spindle @ 20 rpm 25 C, cps max 30 000 Cure time @ 25 C, no tackiness, hr max 24 Hardness, Rex Type A 50 – 60 Tensile strength, D 412, psi min 500 Tensile elongation, D 412, % min 300 ARC resistance, D 495, sec min 70 Dielectric constant, D 150, min 6 @ 50 hz
4.25 @ 500 kHz
Nonvolatile content, % 85
911.07 ROOFING PAPER.
- Roofing paper used in expansion joints shall be composed of roofing felt saturated and coated on both sides with an asphaltic material. It shall weigh at least 39.8 lb/100 ft2 and not crack when bent 90 degrees over a 1/2 in. radius at room temperature.
911.08 WATER STOPS.
- Rubber or polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
- Shall be of the shape and dimensions specified. The cross section shall be uniform along its length and transversely symmetrical so that the thickness at any given distance from either edge of the water stop is uniform.
- Shall meet the following:
TEST and METHOD SPECIFICATION LIMITS Tensile Strength, D 412, psi min 2000 Elongation @ Break, D 412, % min 300 Hardness, Rubber, Type A durometer, D 2240 55 ± 5 Hardness, PVC, Type A durometer, D 2240 75 ± 5
- Furnish a test sample for each lot or shipment of water stop. The manufacturer shall furnish certification as specified in TC-1.03.
911.09 ASPHALT SEALER FOR CONCRETE PIPE.
- A mixture of asphalt, mineral filler, and petroleum solvents, and having adhesive and cohesive properties. Each container shall be clearly marked with a lot number, manufacturer, and location of manufacturer.
- The supplier shall furnish a certified copy of the test results showing that the sealer meets the following:
TEST and METHOD SPECIFICATION LIMITS Residues by evaporation, nonvolatile matter, D 2939, % min 70 Inorganic filler on ignition, ash content, D 2939, % 15 – 45
911.10 CLOSED CELL NEOPRENE SPONGE ELASTOMER.
- D 1056, Type S. Skin coating is optional. The material shall meet the following:
TEST and METHOD SPECIFICATION LIMITS Compression Deflection, D 1056 Pressure necessary for 25 % deflection, 5 – 10 psi, one layer 1/2 in. thick pad @ 70 ± 5 F Accelerated Aging Test Change in compression deflection after aging 7 days @ 158 F, 20 % max Permanent Set,*D 1056 50 % deflection @ 158 F for 22 hr, 40 % max residual permanent set after 10 days recovery,10 % max Water Absorption by weight 2 in. immersion of 1.129 in. diameter sample for 24 hr @ room temperature, 10 % max Water Resistance, D 1171 Quality retention, 6 weeks exposure, 100 %
- *Method to calculate permanent set:
- Permanent set = (t0 - t1)x 100/t0
- t0 = original thickness of sample, and
- t1 = thickness of specimen 30 minutes after removal of clamps or after 10 days recovery.
911.11 DRAINAGE TROUGHS.
- 911.11.01 Neoprene Drainage Troughs. M 220, and the following:
NEOPRENE DRAINAGE TROUGHS PHYSICAL PROPERTY METHOD LIMITS Thickness, in. min — 1/4 Tensile Strength, psi min D 412 2000 Elongation at Break, % min D 412 250 Hardness, Type A Durometer D 2240
60 ± 5 Compression Set, 22 hr @ 212 F, % max D 395 35 Oven Aging, 70 hr @ 212 F Tensile Strength, % loss max D 573 20 Elongation, % loss max 20 Hardness, Type A Durometer (points change) 0 to + 10
- 911.11.02 OPTIONAL PREFORMED FABRIC DRAINAGE TROUGHS. A sheet composed of multiple plies of 15 ± 5 oz/yd2 polyester fabric laminated with butadiene acrylonitrile, vulcanized to form an integral laminate. Physical properties of the laminate shall meet the following:
ALTERNATE PREFORMED FABRIC DRAINAGE TROUGHS PHYSICAL PROPERTY METHOD LIMITS No. of Plies — 3 Laminate Weight, lb/ft2 min — 0.85 Thickness, in. min — 5/32 Breaking Strength, lb/in. min D 378 1200 Elongation at Break, % max D 378 30 Elongation at 1/10 Breaking Strength, % max D 378 3
911.12 SHIMS FOR NOISE BARRIER INSTALLATION.
- Either neoprene or composite elastomer with a durometer of 60 ± 5 (Shore A) value.