- 1 909.01 STRUCTURAL STEEL.
- 2 909.02 STEEL FOR MISCELLANEOUS USE.
- 3 909.03 WELDING MATERIALS.
- 4 909.04 GRAY IRON CASTINGS.
- 5 909.05 STEEL STUD SHEAR DEVELOPERS.
- 6 909.06 BOLTS, NUTS, AND WASHERS FOR GENERAL USE.
- 7 909.07 HIGH STRENGTH FASTENERS, BOLTS, NUTS, AND WASHERS.
- 8 909.08 ANCHOR BOLTS, NUTS, WASHERS FOR TRAFFIC SIGNALS, HIGHWAY LIGHTING, AND SIGNS.
- 9 909.09 CAST WASHERS.
- 10 909.10 HARDWARE.
- 11 909.11 STEEL FORMS.
- 12 909.12 CERTIFICATION.
- 13 SPECIAL PROVISION INSERTS
909.01 STRUCTURAL STEEL.
- Structural steel shall meet all specified requirements.
- (a) All primary load carrying members shall meet the supplementary toughness requirements per. M 270, Zone 2.
- (b) Primary load carrying members are as follows or as specified.
- (1) Finger joint steel from which saw tooth configurations have been cut, all stringers, cover plates, bearing stiffeners, splice plates, pins and pin links for straight rolled steel beam bridges; all flanges, webs, bearing stiffeners, splice plates, pins and pin links for straight steel girder bridges.
- (2) Additionally, on curved rolled steel beam and steel girder bridges; all diaphragms, cross frames, lateral bracing, including connection plates to main stringers.
909.02 STEEL FOR MISCELLANEOUS USE.
- A36, A72 or A709, Grade 36 or 50. Steel for bearings on structures shall conform to A709, Grade 50.
909.03 WELDING MATERIALS.
- AWSAmerican Welding Society D1.5 or D1.1 per design criteria.
909.04 GRAY IRON CASTINGS.
- A48, Class 30B.
909.05 STEEL STUD SHEAR DEVELOPERS.
- AWSAmerican Welding Society D1.5 or D1.1 per design criteria
909.06 BOLTS, NUTS, AND WASHERS FOR GENERAL USE.
- (a) Bolts, A307.
- (b) BridgeA structure including supports erected over a depression or an obstruction, such as water, highway, or railway, and having a track or passageway for carrying traffic or other moving loads, and having an opening measured along the center of the roadway of more than 20 feet between undercopings of abutments or spring lines of arches, or extreme ends of openings for multiple boxes; it may also include multiple pipes, where the clear distance between openings is less than half of the smaller contiguous opening. For lengths, all dimensions shall be parallel to the center line of the roadway. The dimensions of handrails will not be taken into account in measuring bridge lengths. Any bridge or highway grade separation structure includes the connecting highways, substructure, superstructure, roadway approaches, entrance plazas, interchanges, overpasses, underpasses, and other structures which the Administration may deem necessary together with all property rights, easements, franchises, and interests acquired by the Administration for the construction and operation of the bridge. anchor bolts F1554.
- (c) Washers, F436.
- (d) Nuts, A563, Grade A. Galvanize per F2329 when required. High temperature galvanizing is not allowed.
909.07 HIGH STRENGTH FASTENERS, BOLTS, NUTS, AND WASHERS.
- (a) Bolts, F3125, Grade A325.
- (b) Washers, F436.
- (c) Nuts, heavy hex A194, Grade 2H or A563, Grade DH. Galvanize per F2329. High temperature galvanizing is not allowed.
- (d) Use A490, Type 3 fasteners on unpainted weathering steelWeathering steel, best-known under the trademark COR-TEN steel and sometimes written without the hyphen as corten steel, is a group of steel alloys which were developed to eliminate the need for painting, and form a stable rust-like appearance if exposed to the weather for several years..
- Rotational capacity testing shall be performed on all high strength fasteners. Provide test results per 909.01.
909.08 ANCHOR BOLTS, NUTS, WASHERS FOR TRAFFIC SIGNALS, HIGHWAY LIGHTING, AND SIGNS.
- F1554, Grade 55 S1.
- (a) Anchor bolts, galvanized for the full length of the threads and 3 in. below the threads.
- (b) Nuts, heavy hex, A194, Grade 2H or A563, Grade DH.
- (c) Flat washers, heavy washers, F436.
- (d) Galvanize all hardware per F2329. High temperature galvanizing is not allowed.
909.09 CAST WASHERS.
- Cast washers, ogee washers, and special cast washers per A47. Hot dip galvanize per A153.
- F1667. Spikes, wood screws, staples, brads, lag screws, carriage bolts, and other parts under general hardware shall be composed of carbon steel.
909.11 STEEL FORMS.
- A653, Designation SS, Grades 33 through 80S. Steel bridge deck forms and deck form supports that remain in place shall be fabricated as specified. Steel forms shall be coated per Coating Designation G 165. The minimum thickness of uncoated steel shall be 0.0359 in.
- TC-1.03. The metal producer shall furnish certification as specified. CertificationA document which verifies that the material and work complies with the applicable specifications and includes the actual test results to confirm the statement. The contents of the certification shall be on the Contractor's/vendor's/manufacturer's letterhead or approved document and shall be duly signed by a company officer. Certifications for metal products, when required, shall include a statement that the material was melted and manufactured in the United States except as provided in Section 165 of the Surface Transportation Assistance Act of 1982, as amended by Section 1041(a) and 1048(a) of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 with regard to the furnishing and coating of iron and steel products. A nationwide waiver for this provision has been granted for pig iron and processed, pelletized, and reduced iron ore. shall include actual mill test results and the chemical and physical properties of the finished metal products.
SPECIAL PROVISION INSERTS
The following Special Provision Inserts update Section 909 after the official publication of the Standard SpecificationA written description of functional characteristics, or the nature of a construction item to be procured. It may include a. Updated documents may be found within the Standard and Supplemental Specifications for Construction and Materials on the MDOTMaryland Department of Transportation SHA web page.
- SPI-Section 909-Metals. Dated 5/11/2018.