708 TURFGRASS SOD ESTABLISHMENT
- Establish turfgrass sod on topsoil or other specified soil substrate to provide permanent vegetation groundcover. When it is not possible to perform Turfgrass Sod Establishment, refer to Section 704 and perform Temporary Mulch, or as directed. Performance of Turfgrass Sod Establishment as specified herein complies with all requirements of the Maryland Department of the Environment for permanent vegetation groundcover.
- 708.03.01 General.
- (a) Regions. Refer to 705.03.01(a).
- (b) Installation Season and Species. Perform operations when soil moisture and weather conditions are suitable. Cease operations when sod or soil is frozen, or conditions are unsuitable.
- Tall Fescue Sod. Install from August 15 to May 31 in Region 1, Region 2, and Region 3 unless another species of sod is specified. Approval is required for installation from November 16 to February 29 when fertilizer may not be applied.
- Zoysiagrass Sod. Install in specified areas of Region 2 and Region 3 from March 1 to June 15, and from August 1 to September 15.
- Bermudagrass Sod. Install in specified areas of Region 3 from March 1 to June 15, and from August 1 to September 15.
- (c) Nutrient Management Plan (NMP). Soil testing will be performed and a NMP will be developed by the AdministrationShall mean any one of the Administrations within the Maryland Department of Transportation, as listed in GP 1.02.. Conform to the application rates of the NMP and replace application rates of Table 2 in 705.03.03 as required by the NMP. When no NMP has been developed, apply 200 lb. per acre of 20-16-12 (83% UF with MAP & SOP) fertilizer as the NMP rate for Turfgrass Sod Establishment.
- (d) Nutrient Management Reporting. Record the location and details of soil amendment and fertilizer applications on the Nutrient Management Reporting Form. Submit the Form within 24 hours after applying soil amendments and fertilizer.
- 708.03.02 Grade Repair. 705.03.04.
- 708.03.03 Preparing Soil. 705.03.05.
- 708.03.04 Application Rates. Apply materials according to Table 1.
TURFGRASS SOD ESTABLISHMENT
TABLE 1 - APPLICATION RATES
MATERIAL LB PER SY LB PER ACRE INITAL FERTILIZER per Nutrient Management Plana, b 20-16-12 (83% UF with MAP & SOP) 0 to 0.041 0 to 200 or one or more of the followingc 38-0-0 (UF) 0 to 0.021 0 to 100 11-52-0 (MAP) 0 to 0.036 0 to 175 0-0-50 (SOP) 0 to 0.041 0 to 200 SEED MIXES; select one SHA Turfgrass Seed Mix, applied to roadsides, facilities, and other designated areas 0.041 200 or SHA Special Purpose Seed Mix, applied to slopes 4:1 and steeper within four miles of a State airport, and other designated areas. 0.041 200 ADDITIVE SEED; when required per Table 1 SHA Temporary Seed Mix 0.006 25 STRAW MULCH 0.826 4000 WOOD CELLULOSE FIBER to secure straw mulch 0.155 750 REFERTILIZINGd 37-0-0 Sulfur Coated Urea (SCU) 0.021 100 Notes:
aFor existing topsoil and salvaged topsoil, the application rates will be included in the Contract documents. For furnished topsoil, the application rates will be developed for the approved source of supply
bWhen no NMP has been developed, apply 200 lb per acre of 20-16-12 initial fertilizer.
cUF = Ureaform; MAP = Monoammonium Phosphate; SOP = Sulfate of Potash. When application rate of 20-16-12 fertilizer is below 200 lb. per acre, apply UF, MAP, and SOP per NMP.
- 708.03.05 Initial Fertilizer. Apply initial fertilizer after preparing soil, or after installing sod, per Table 1. When sodding from November 16 to February 29, apply initial fertilizer during March, and apply refertilizing in conformance with 708.03.12 during April.
- Use spreaders, drills, or other approved machinery. Machinery shall be capable of uniformly placing fertilizer at the specified rate. Calibrate equipment before application. Apply materials accurately and uniformly to avoid misses and overlaps. Do not operate machinery during windy weather that may interfere with uniform application.
- 708.03.06 Transporting and Handling Sod. Transport and install turfgrass sod within 48 hours after harvest. Handle sod without excessive breaking, tearing, or loss of soil.
- 708.03.07 Placing Sod. Place sod neatly over the soil surface. Ensure that sod edges are tightly abutted. Do not overlap edges of sod, or leave gaps between strips of sod.
- 708.03.08 Securing. Install fasteners in locations where sod may be dislodged by water flow. Secure turfgrass sod to the soil of ditches and slopes with at least two fasteners per strip spaced no more than 2 ft apart. Drive the fasteners through the sod and firmly into the soil, so there is no gap at the top of the fastener.
- 708.03.09 Firming. Tamp or roll turfgrass sod after installation and securing sod to close press the sod firmly into the soil. Hand tampers shall weigh approximately 15 lb with a flat surface of approximately 100 in2. Rollers shall weigh approximately 40 lb per ft of width.
- 708.03.10 Initial Watering. Gently apply water with a sprinkler or water-breaker nozzle over the surface of the sod. Do not allow water to cause erosion or to displace the sod. Perform the first watering within 4 hours after placing sod. Wet the soil to a depth at least 2 in. below the sod.
- 708.03.11 Installation Acceptance. Submit a request for Installation Phase Acceptance when operations are completed. Inspection will be conducted to verify completion. Installation Phase Acceptance will be granted at that time.
- 708.03.12 Establishment Phase. The Establishment Phase will begin upon Installation Phase Acceptance. Perform the following during the Establishment Phase.
- (a) Period of Maintenance. Maintain areas of sod until Final Acceptance.
- (b) Required Maintenance. Perform the following during the Establishment Phase.
- Watering. Apply water to ensure survival of sod in good condition. Apply water with approved machinery. Do not allow water to cause erosion, or to displace the sod.
- Reset Sod. When sod is not firmly fastened to the soil, repair the unsecured areas using fasteners as needed or as directed.
- Sod Replacement. When sod does not meet acceptance standards, remove the unacceptable sod and install new sod as needed or as directed.
- Mowing. Mow sod before it grows to a height of 8 in. Use approved machinery to cut to a height of 3 to 5 in.
- (c) Refertilizing. Refer to 708.03.05 and apply 37-0-0 SCU Refertilizing as specified in Table 1 at least 1 month after initial fertilizer was applied. Do not apply Refertilizing from November 15 thru March 1.
- 708.03.13 Final Acceptance. The EngineerAny person designated by the Administrator or the procurement officer, acting directly or through his duly authorized representative, such representative acting within the scope of the particular duties assigned to him or of the authority given him. and the Landscape Operations Division will complete an Inspection Report of sod height, color, and percent groundcover. When it is not possible to perform the Inspection, Final Acceptance will be delayed until Inspection is possible. The Inspection Report will be included in the Punch List requirements for the project. Complete the Punch List requirements as directed.
- Final Acceptance will be granted after all operations have been completed, and when the turfgrass sod has grown at least 4 in. tall, exhibits dark green color, is firmly rooted into the soil, and is at least 99 percent groundcover.
708.04 MEASUREMENT AND PAYMENT.
- Turfgrass Sod Establishment will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price for one or more of the specified items. The payment will be full compensation for all material, labor, equipment, tools, disposal fees and incidentals necessary to complete the work.
- (a) Payment Schedule. Payments will be made according to Table 2 when construction requirements are met.
TURFGRASS SOD ESTABLISHMENT
TABLE 2 - PAYMENT SCHEDULE
CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS PERCENT OF TOTAL CONTRACT PRICE PAYMENT FOR COMPLETED WORK 708.03.01 thru .11 80 At Installation Phase Acceptance 708.03.12 (a) and (b) and 705.03.13 20 At Final Acceptance Total Payment 100%
- (b) Forfeiture. Failure to complete operations as required in conformance with the Payment Schedule will result in forfeiture of that percentage of payment.
- 708.04.01 Turfgrass Sod Establishment, including grade repair, preparing soil, applying soil amendments and initial fertilizer in conformance with the Nutrient Management Plan, sod, fasteners, watering, resetting sod, sod replacement, and mowing will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price per square yard.
- 708.04.02 Zoysiagrass Sod Establishment, including grade repair, preparing soil, applying soil amendments and initial fertilizer in conformance with the Nutrient Management Plan, sod, fasteners, watering, resetting sod, sod replacement, and mowing will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price per square yard.
- 708.04.03 Bermudagrass Sod Establishment, including grade repair, preparing soil, applying soil amendments and initial fertilizer in conformance with the Nutrient Management Plan, sod, fasteners, watering, resetting sod, sod replacement, and mowing will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price per square yard.
- 708.04.04 Refertilizing will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price per square yard.
- 708.04.05 Temporary Mulch will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price.