611 DETECTABLE WARNING SURFACE
From MDOT Policy Manual
- Furnish and install detectable warning surfaces. Ensure that the detectable warning surface is in accordance with the most recent accessibility guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADAAmericans with Disabilities Act).
Detectable Warning Surfaces 925
- Select the detectable warning surface from the Qualified Product List (QPL) maintained by the Office of Materials Technology. Ensure that detectable warning surface materials meet certification requirements prior to use. Submit the proposed source of supply and the specific product for approval.
- The detectable warning system may be either surface applied or cast in place. However, use only Type I, III, or IV detectable warning systems for new or replacement concrete installations. Install the system according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Unless specifically addressed in the manufacturer’s recommendations, remove the existing surface texturing by grinding or other means. At a minimum, prepare the concrete surface in accordance with SSPCSociety for Protective Coatings-SP 13. Remove all old adhesives and sealants.
- The detectable warning surface shall be 24 in. wide in the direction of pedestrian travel and installed for the full width of the curb ramp, landing, or blended transition. Do not bridge or overhang cracks or expansion joints.
- Ensure that the vertical edges of the installed system are not more than 0.50 in. above the adjacent surfaces. Place a 2:1 or flatter bevel on edges that are more than 0.25 in. above the adjacent surface. The same edge requirements apply to cut material.
611.04 MEASUREMENT AND PAYMENT.
- Detectable Warning Surfaces will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price per square foot. The payment will be full compensation for removal and disposal of old treatments, including adhesives and sealants, reapplying, and for all material, labor, equipment, tools, and incidentals necessary to complete the work.
- The sidewalk on which the detectable warning surface is placed will be measured and paid for at the Contract price for the pertinent SidewalkThe portion of the roadway constructed for use by pedestrians. item.