556 PREFORMED THERMOPLASTIC PAVEMENT MARKINGS
From MDOT Policy Manual
- Furnish and install preformed thermoplastic pavement marking symbols, legends, and lines as specified in the Contract DocumentsThe written agreement executed between an Administration and the successful bidder, covering the performance of the work and furnishing of labor, equipment and materials, by which the Contractor is bound to perform the work and furnish the labor, equipment and materials, and by which the Administration is obligated to compensate him therefore at the mutually established and accepted rate or price. The Contract Documents shall include the Invitation for Bids, Notice to Contractors, Instructions to Bidders, Proposal, Contract Forms and Bonds, General Provisions, Specifications, Supplemental Specifications, all Special Provisions, all Technical Provisions, all Plans and Notices to Proceed, also any written Change Orders and Supplemental Agreements that are required to complete the construction of the work in an acceptable manner, including authorized extension thereof and as directed.
- Preformed Thermoplastic is a durable pavement marking material. Select preformed Thermoplastic Pavement Marking material from the Qualified Products List (QPLQualified Products List Award—The decision by a procurement agency to execute a purchase agreement or Contract after all necessary approvals have been obtained.).
Preformed Thermoplastic Pavement Marking Material 951.06
- Refer to 549.03.
- 556.03.02 Clean Pavement Surfaces. Refer to 549.03.07.
- 556.03.03 Application. Apply markings at the location, size and width as specified and as directed. Use equipment recommended by the thermoplastic manufacturer. Preheat pavement surfaces when recommended by the manufacturer. Apply heat to the surface of the placed thermoplastic per the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Do not apply longitudinal or transverse pavement markings over longitudinal joints; offset 2 in. and as directed. Preheat pavement surfaces and heat the thermoplastic so as to not damage any joint filler. Protect adjacent marking materials from damage when preheating the pavement or heating the thermoplastic by shielding or setback methods.
- Preformed Thermoplastic Pavement Markings shall conform to the following:
- (a) Temperature. Apply preformed thermoplastic when the thermoplastic, ambient, and surface temperature, and relative humidity conform to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- (b) Color. MSMT 729.
- (c) Primer. Use a primer if thermoplastic is applied to Portland cement concrete or as recommended by the manufacturer.
- (d) Retroreflectance. MSMT 729. The minimum retroreflectance shall be 150 millicandelas/lux/square meter for yellow and 250 millicandelas/lux/square meter for white.
- (e) Thickness. Refer to MSMT 729. Apply 90 mil preformed thermoplastic.
- 556.03.04 Submittals. Supply MSDS, Product Data Sheets, and Quality Control PlansThe official drawings issued by the Administration as part of the Contract Documents, including those incorporated in the Contract Documents by reference..
- 556.03.05 Packaging. The material shall be handled for shipping, unloading and storage per the manufacturer’s recommendations. Each shipping package shall be marked with the following information:
- (a) Manufacturer's name.
- (b) Description of item.
- (c) Date of manufacture.
- (d) Product code number.
- (e) Lot number.
- (f) Color.
556.04 MEASUREMENT AND PAYMENT.
- The payment will be full compensation for all pavement preparation, furnishing and placing of markings, testing, and for all material, labor, equipment, tools, and incidentals necessary to complete the work.
- (a) Preformed Thermoplastic Pavement Marking Legends (letters and numbers) and Symbols will be paid for at the Contract unit price per square foot.
- (b) Preformed Thermoplastic Pavement Marking lines will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price per linear foot for the color and width specified.