508 MILLING ASPHALT PAVEMENT
- Mill asphalt pavement.
Performance Graded Asphalt Binders and Asphalt Mixes 904
- Refer to Section 505. Perform roadway patching as specified. Additional roadway patching may be required after milling.
- 508.03.01 EquipmentAll machinery, tools, and apparatus necessary for the proper construction and acceptable completion of the work, together with the necessary supplies for upkeep and maintenance.. Use a power operated planing machine or grinder capable of removing a layer of asphalt pavement at the specified depth in one pass and at least half the lane width. The machine shall be capable of accurately establishing profile grade control and have a positive means for controlling slope elevation. The machine shall be capable of preventing dust from escaping into the atmosphere.
- The milled surface shall be true to the established grade and skid resistant. Furnish an approved 10 ft straightedge for testing the transverse and longitudinal surface after milling. Maintain a tolerance of ± 1/8 in.
- 508.03.02 Pavement Milling.
- (a) Mill one lane at a time.
- (b) Mill the abutting lane or shoulder on roadways carrying traffic on the same day if the milling depth exceeds 2-1/2 in.
- (c) Mill the abutting lane or shoulder prior to weekends or temporary shutdowns, regardless of depth. Mill the abutting lane or shoulder on alternate days if the milling depth is 2-1/2 in. or less.
- (d) Provide adequate advance warning devices where uneven pavement joints exist, as specified.
- 508.03.03 Temporary Tie-ins.
- (a) Construct a temporary tie-in at least 4 ft in length for each 1 in. of pavement depth when paving roadways carrying traffic with a posted speed ≤ 40 mph.
- (b) Construct a temporary tie-in at least 10 ft in length for each 1 in. of pavement depth when paving roadways carrying traffic with a posted speed >40 mph.
- (c) Construct temporary tie-ins before allowing traffic to cross the transverse joint.
- (d) Construct temporary tie-ins of 10 ft or greater using a paver meeting 504.03.01
- Use a vacuum equipped street sweeper, in addition to any other equipment required, to remove dust and debris after milling and prior to returning the area to traffic.
- Fill all depressions, potholes, and other irregularities with an asphalt mix after milling. Construct an asphalt wedge at existing water valves, meters, manhole covers, etc.
508.04 MEASUREMENT AND PAYMENT.
- 508.04.01 Milling Asphalt Pavement will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price per square yard. The square yardage will be computed from the actual width and length measurements of the milled area. The payment will be full compensation for milling, the disposal of milled material, and for all material, labor, equipment, tools, and incidentals necessary to complete the work.
- 508.04.02 Asphalt mixes for filling depressions and potholes, and for wedging manholes, valve boxes, inlets, or other structures will be measured and paid per 106.04.
- 508.04.03 Asphalt patches will be measured and paid for per 505.04.
SPECIAL PROVISION INSERTS
The following Special Provision Inserts update Section 508 after the official publication of the Standard SpecificationA written description of functional characteristics, or the nature of a construction item to be procured. It may include a. Updated documents may be found within the Standard and Supplemental Specifications for Construction and Materials on the MDOTMaryland Department of Transportation SHA web page.
- SPI-Section 508-Milling Asphalt Pavement. Dated 5/11/2018.