470 UTILITIES ON STRUCTURES
From MDOT Policy Manual
- Place utility markers to identify utilities when they are newly installed, replaced, or relocated. Place the identification markers as specified herein and as approved.
- Utility Facility Identification.
- (a) Any new or replacement utility facility installed from the date of this policy shall include an identification marker with the first 50 feet of the facility, the last 50 feet of the facility, and at intervals of 200 feet in-between.
- (1) The spacing shall be adjusted to have one marker in every bay bounded by beams and diaphragms through which the utility passes.
- (b) The marker shall consist of decals or stenciling onto the pipe or carrier conforming to industry standards color coding with high quality black or white print.
- (1) Lettering height shall be 1/3 the pipe diameter, but not smaller than 1 in. nor larger than 4 in.
- (2) The markers shall include the name of the utility and a description of the contents including pressure, voltage, and any other pertinent information required by industry standards.
LABEL BACKGROUND COLOR / LETTERING COLOR CONTENT RED Electrical Power YELLOW Gas, Oil Steam, Petroleum or Gaseous Materials ORANGE Communication, CATV, Alarm, or Signal BLUE Potable Water PURPLE Reclaimed Water, Irrigation, or Slurry GREEN Sewer and Storm Drain
- Figure 4.05.10 - Utility Markers
- Place identification markers within the first and last 50 ft of the structure, and at intervals not to exceed 100 ft.
- Ensure that the surface to receive the marker is properly cleaned and prepared prior to the application. Orient the markings for best visibility.
470.04 MEASUREMENT AND PAYMENT.
- The application of utility markers on structures will not be measured but the cost will be incidental to the pertinent items.