464 EPOXY PROTECTIVE COATINGS FOR CONCRETE
From MDOT Policy Manual
- Furnish and apply epoxy protective coatings to concrete surfaces.
- Coatings shall not be applied until 30 days after removal of the forms. Abrade all surfaces to be coated by abrasive blasting, water blasting, or other mechanical means to provide a surface profile for improved adhesion. Ensure that the surface is sound, clean, thoroughly dry, and free of oil, grease, curing compound, and other foreign matter before applying the first epoxy protective coating. Apply two coats to the specified areas of the structure. Each application shall follow a dry weather period of at least two consecutive days and be within the time frame recommended by the manufacturer. Mask adjacent areas not to be coated or otherwise protect to prevent staining.
- 464.03.01 Mixing and Application. Mix and apply according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Apply by brush or roller. Do not apply to piers and abutments until the structural steel masonry plates are in place.
- 464.03.02 Coating Requirements. Sprinkle an excess of sand on the second epoxy coating on the top surfaces of the piers and abutment bridge seat areas between beams pads while it is still wet. When it has hardened sufficiently to resist marring, remove sand not adhering to the coatings. Coat the following areas:
- (a) For abutments under a transverse joint, apply the coatings to the entire horizontal surface of the bridge seat areas (between and around the beam pads) and all exposed surfaces of the beam pads, and the entire contiguous vertical faces of the backwalls and cheek walls.
- (b) For piers under a transverse joint, apply the coatings to the entire horizontal surface of bridge seat areas (between and around the beam pads), and all exposed surfaces of the beam pads.
- 464.03.03 Material Precautions. Use the manufacturer’s Material Safety Data in handling and use of the material.
- 464.03.04 Repairs. Repair all damage to the structure resulting from the coating operations, including damage to the epoxy protective coating. Perform epoxy protective coating repairs according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
464.04 MEASUREMENT AND PAYMENT.
- The payment will be full compensation for both coats and all material, labor, equipment, tools, and incidentals necessary to complete the work.
- 464.04.01 Epoxy protective coatings for concrete for which no specific item is included will not be measured but the cost will be incidental to other pertinent items.
- 464.04.02 Epoxy protective coatings for concrete will not be measured but will be paid for at the Contract lump sum price for the pertinent Epoxy Protective Coating item.
- 464.04.03 Epoxy protective coatings for concrete will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price per square foot for the pertinent Epoxy Protective Coating item.