433 BRIDGE MOUNTED SIGN SUPPORTS
From MDOT Policy Manual
- Furnish and construct bridge mounted sign supports and sign luminaire supports. This work does not include sign panels, electrical work, or luminaires.
- References to Grade 50W structural steel shall be construed to include similar structural steel having weathering characteristics.
Epoxy Grout 902.11(d) Structural Steel 909.01 Anchor Bolts, Nuts and Washers 909.06 High Strength Bolts, Nuts and Washers 909.07 Paint 912.05, Paint System B
- On new structures, construct the sign support using the same structural steel and fasteners used for the fabrication of the structure. When A 709, Grade 50W structural steel is used, make the vertical supports from material meeting A 709, Grade 36 or 50.
- On existing structures, use structural steel meeting A 709, Grade 36 or 50 for the sign support. When the existing structure consists of A 709, Grade 50W structural steel, construct the sign support from steel meeting A 709, Grade 50W, except make the vertical supports from steel meeting A 709, Grade 36 or 50. Use fasteners meeting 909.07 and use Type 3 when used with A 709, Grade 50W.
- Vertical supports for the sign panels shall be galvanized per A 123. All bolts, nuts, and similar fasteners in contact with the galvanized material shall be mechanically or hot dipped galvanized meeting the thickness, adherence, and quality requirements of A 153.
- Construct the sign support according to the applicable portions of Section 430. Paint according to Section 435, except as specified herein.
- Set the anchor bolts by epoxy grouting or casting in place when applicable.
- On new structures, clean and paint the nongalvanized portions of the sign support using the same system specified for the structure. Portions of the sign support mounted on structures constructed with Grade 50W steel and attached to areas designated to be painted, shall also be cleaned and painted.
- On existing structures not constructed with Grade 50W steel, either the entire sign support may be galvanized or those areas not designated to be galvanized may be painted. Refer to Section 435 for cleaning and painting nongalvanized portions of the sign support. Blast clean to a surface condition of Near White SSPCSociety for Protective Coatings SP 10 prior to painting. Unless otherwise specified, refer to 436.03.25 for repair of damaged coatings on existing structures.
- Portions of the sign support mounted on existing structures constructed with Grade 50W steel and attached to areas that are painted shall also be cleaned and painted.
433.04 MEASUREMENT AND PAYMENT.
- BridgeA structure including supports erected over a depression or an obstruction, such as water, highway, or railway, and having a track or passageway for carrying traffic or other moving loads, and having an opening measured along the center of the roadway of more than 20 feet between undercopings of abutments or spring lines of arches, or extreme ends of openings for multiple boxes; it may also include multiple pipes, where the clear distance between openings is less than half of the smaller contiguous opening. For lengths, all dimensions shall be parallel to the center line of the roadway. The dimensions of handrails will not be taken into account in measuring bridge lengths. Any bridge or highway grade separation structure includes the connecting highways, substructure, superstructure, roadway approaches, entrance plazas, interchanges, overpasses, underpasses, and other structures which the Administration may deem necessary together with all property rights, easements, franchises, and interests acquired by the Administration for the construction and operation of the bridge. Mounted Sign Supports will not be measured but will be paid for at the Contract lump sum price. The payment will be full compensation for all material, labor, equipment, tools, and incidentals necessary to complete the work.